Book Covers (part 2)

  Tis the time for Libby to hate on the covers she doesn't like. Welcome to my book cover hate fest! I've shared some of my favorite covers, now it's time for the opposite. Let's get started. 

  I HATE BOOKS WITH FACES ON THEM. I don't think some weird angle of a random pretty girl smirking does justice to potential amazing stories. A perfect example is...

The Vampire Academy series. 
  THE COVERS ARE UGLY AS H*LL. THERE IS NOTHING APPEALING ABOUT SOME CREEPY GIRL STARING AT ME LIKE SOME KIND OF VAMPIRE STALKER. NO. JUST NO. I haven't read these books, but I'm going to assume they're better than these covers (which isn't hard to do). UGH. THEY'RE SO BAD. 

Another example of this YA trend of creepy girls is the hard cover copy of Paper Towns.
  This is my absolute favorite book of all time, but these covers are so damn ugly. The first one is better, because it has the hint of dirt, which reminds me of the abandoned strip mall in the book, but it's so plain. At least the previous covers, had tints of color and a nice font. These just aren't visually appealing at all. The paperback is much better, and think it does much more justice to the book by having metaphorical resonance. I know John said that the two different covers represent how Margo was misimagined, but these covers are so boring. 

  I only like covers with people on them if they're drawn or animated. Like if it's some pretty drawing of a girl or a couple I'm okay. Some perfect examples are Fangirl and Eleanor & Park
  These are good. I like these. But these? NO.
 
  NO MORE DECAPITATED GIRLS ON YA NOVELS. WE'VE HAD ENOUGH. JUST STOP. 

  Ya know what else I hate? When all the books in a series DON'T MATCH! Like...

The Across the Universe series. 
  Oh look, beautiful spacey book 1, beautiful galaxy book 2, and BAM. RANDOM PLANTS ON BOOK 3. WHAT EVEN. THEY DON'T EVEN LOOK REMOTELY ALIKE. The first two are so beautiful and amazing and then book three comes along and it's like WELCOME TO THE JUNGLE. OH MY GOD. I haven't read these books, I hope the writing isn't as bad as the last cover. 

Another bone to pick in the same general spectrum of hate. The Throne of Glass series. 
  These covers are awesome and bad ass. It also meets my criteria of having drawn/animated people instead of a picture of a girl. Oh wait. 
   WTF? What's with the random different cover for the first book. Did they release this one and say "aw crap this one sucks, let's make another one and match the rest of the series to it." They were right. I mean, look. It's got a girl intensely staring. Grrr. 

This next one isn't as bad, but I still have to mention it. The Tiger's Curse series. 
  These covers are reeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyy pretty. They have henna designs on them (it's about Indian  mythology) and they're beautiful. BUT THEY DONT COMEPLETLY MATCH. Each book has tiger in the title so you'd think each book would have a tiger on it, right? Well, the first two do. But then, there's two different animals on the last two. EITHER PUT A DIFFERENT ANIMAL ON EACH ONE OR PUT A TIGER ON ALL OF THEM. I'd prefer the latter, because they all have tiger in the title!!!!

  Here's another book, who's cover does not do justice to their story. City of Bones. 
  This book is amazing, and the rest of the covers in this series aren't that bad (The Infernal Devices are better, but the rest of The Mortal Instruments are fine). BUT THIS ONE. I DON'T WANT THE FIRST BOOK IN AN AMAZING SERIES TO HAVE A GIANT HALF NAKED GUY ON IT. KINDA GIVES ME THE WRONG IMPRESSION. 

  *sigh* okay. Deep breaths, Libby. That's all for my least favorite book covers. Send me your favs and least favs at libbylancasterlit@gmail.com. I want to know! GOODBYE!!!!!





 


Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Which YA Book Should You Read Next Based on Your Myers-Briggs Type?

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Book 1: The Sword of Summer

Let's Reread The Mortal Instruments