Fangirl

                
  Fangirl
 by Rainbow Rowell is a beautiful tale of fandoms, fanfiction, and first love. It follows the story of Cather Avery (Cath) as she enters her first year of college. Cath's twin sister, Wren, is extremely outgoing and wants to have the full blown college experience (drinking, parties, etc.), while Cath is more of an introvert, preferring to stay in her room and write fanfiction about Simon Snow. This fictional series is this alternate universe's Harry Potter, which makes the story especially relatable if you grew up with those books. 
  Readers join Cath as she deals with new boys, family problems, an impossible roommate, an of course, the impossible deadline of the eighth Simon Snow book coming out. This book was amazing in essentially every aspect. It's also one of those books whose cuteness just oozes out of it. You can genuinely feel the adorable in your heart.  It's funny, charming, and deep, so if you haven't read it, I suggest you pick it up. Like, right now. 

                                                *****SPOILERS*****
  Oh my god, I can't even begin to comprehend how much I loved and related to this book. The characters were absolute perfection and I could really feel their development. And OMG LEVI. You are the most adorable creature to ever walk this earth. Any time you talked, I felt like I was on some sort of happy pills. I just smiled and smiled and smiled. :)))))))). He and Cath were extremely adorable and I could get over how sweet they were together. His relationship with Cath was also rocky at times, and when they weren't happy together, I felt myself cry with sadness and yearn for their relationship every second they weren't smiling at each other or kissing. My only real complaint with this book was when their were multiple pages of her reading fanfiction to Levi, and, I don't know, it just felt a little long-winded. I preferred the little paragraph snippets at the end of each chapter. 
  Now let's talk about Reagan. Did anyone else picture her as looking like Caroline Lee from the Lizzie Bennet Diaries? No? Just me? Okay. At first she wouldn't talk to Cath, so we didn't really get to know her, but once she did...I just fell in love with her. She's witty, and mean, and sarcastic, and I love her. And let me tell you some thin'. Dang that girl is fine. I was literally shaking with laughter when her and Cath would discuss and judge the people in line at the dining hall. 
"Oh, wolf girl at three o'clock," Reagan said excitedly
"Is she wearing her clip-on tail?" 
"I don't know, wait for it....No. Damn."
"I kinda liked her tail." Cath smiled fondly at the chubby girl with dyed black hair.
"If God put me in your life to keep you from wearing a fucking tail," Reagan said, "I accept the assignment." 
Oh my god, I was dying. 
  Can we also talk about Nick? He was kinda cool at first, but I was never really into him. Just...eh. BUT THEN HE STOLE HER STORY. THAT DOUCHE. I WAS LIVID. I then made peace with the fact that it was mostly his story, but noooooo. That bitch had the nerve to come back and ask her to give him permission to put it in that journal award thingy.  OMFG. And then Reagan, perfect Reagan, slammed that door in his face! I was so proud. 
  Now on to Cath's family. Her mom and dad were very interesting characters. I feel I related more to Cath than Wren on the point of view of their mother. I would not have tried to reconnect and forgive her after all that time. What Cath said was right. "You don't get to be the mother if you show up after the kids are already grown. She's like those animals at the end of the  story that try to eat all the little red hen's bread. Back when we needed her, she wouldn't even return our phone calls. When we started our periods, we had to google the details. But now, after we've stopped missing her, after we've stopped crying for her-after we've got shit figured out-now she wants to get to know us? I don't need a mother now, thanks. I'm good." And she's right. The title of "mother" isn't given to you by birthing the children, it's given to you by raising them. 
  Cath's dad on the other hand, is so sweet. I didn't exactly care for him until you saw how broken he really became after his wife left him. I was genuinely scared for him with all his hospitalizations. But even besides his sadness, he was a really funny guy. One of my favorite parts if the whole book was their puns at Christmas. 
"Why couldn't Santa get out of bed on Christmas?" her dad asked, like he was setting up a joke. 
"I don't know, why?"
"Because he's north bipolar."
"No," Cath said, "because the bipolar bears were really bringing him down,"
"Because Rudolph's nose just seemed too bright."
"Because the chimneys make him Claus-trophobic."
SO FUNNY. 
  Now I've saved the best for last, Wren. At first she was being really bitchy. She just stepped out on her sister, who she knows has social anxiety, during her first year of college in a new city. WHO DOES THAT TO THEIR TWIN SISTER? I was especially angry after that scene at Muggsy's where she said 911 but the text was for Courtney but Cath thought she was in danger. AND WREN DIDNT EVEN APOLOGIZE. And Courtney was just a moron. I was proud of Wren when she ditched Courtney. That girl was all trouble and I knew it from the start. Cath and Wren went a while without talking which just made you hate her more, but I feel she redeemed herself at the end. After the whole alcohol poisoning in the end, she got much better. And even though I don't think I would have gone to hang out with the mom, I commend Wren for trying. She must be a truly and extremely forgiving person to even want to see their mother. I, like Cath, would not have been brave enough to do that. 
                                                         *****SPOILERS*****
  That's it for my spoiler section. This book was definitely one of my favorite contemporaries and probably in my top 10 books. One of my favorited things about it was that it wasn't one of those contemporaries that you feel is one or two chapters short. It was bigger than most of its kind, and it was enough to sufficiently end the story.  Definitly worth the read. Easily 9/10. LOVED IT. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which YA Book Should You Read Next Based on Your Myers-Briggs Type?

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Book 1: The Sword of Summer

Let's Reread The Mortal Instruments