FREAKING BLOOD OF OLYMPUS, MAN

  Hold on everybody, this is going to be a long one. If you don't want it ruined for you, I suggest you leave now. 
*****SPOILERS*****
  From the moment I read "I'm the son of Poseidon. I can't drown and neither can my pancakes." I knew it was going to be a good book. I highlighted so many paragraphs and lines that basically my entire book was colorful. 
  I'm not sure how I feel about Rick's choice of POV's. On the one hand, I like the flip-flop between the Argo Crew and the Parthenos Gang (yes, that's how I'm referring to Nico, Reyna, and Coach Hedge), but I was a little upset about everyone not having a narration. It felt unbalanced. I guess it does feel like the book has come full circle (like frank hehehehe) in the fact that Lost Hero started with Jason, Piper, and Leo and that's how the series ended. I feels like closure, which is one thing I wish we'd had more of. 
  I am especially triumphant because I predicted Leo's end. As soon as he started discussing sacrificing himself, I knew. He had planned all along to rebuild Festus and sail for Ogygia with the astrolabe and crystal, so as soon as I saw that he had rebuilt him, I knew that he wasn't going to die. When Leo went up in the air, I just knew. He'd get blasted out of the air and his instruments would go haywire because that's how you get to  calyso's island. THEORY 1 CONFIRMED. MISSION SUCCESS. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, consider visiting my crackpot theories post. 
  A theory that was proven wrong was that Reyna was going to die. I'm so glad I was wrong, because REYNA IS A BAMF. THAT GIRL COULD CRUSH SKULLS WITH HER THIGHS WHILE SIMULTANEOUSLY STABBING YOU. She had one of the greatest burns Riordan has ever written. 
OOOOOOOOOOOOOH. 
  Her bond with Nico was one of the most amazing things I have ever read. They just brought out the best in each other. She let Nico open up and talk about his feelings, while he helped her get through the trauma of her past. Every time she shared her strength and felt Nico's feelings, their bond stengthened further. She defeated Orion all by herself, even when the Hunters of Artemis combined with the Amazons had failed. I haven't admired someone so much since Thalia in Titan's Curse. And Annabeth, or course. And Piper. And Hazel. RICK HAS THE BEST FEMALE LEADS.
  Speaking of female leads, I'm super happy that Thalia and Hylla survived the fight with Orion. Was I the only one sensing some sexual tension between those two. I mean, they're the same age, have similar values, and the hunters swore off men, not women. IMAGINE ALL THE LESBIAN BADASSERY THAT COULD COME FROM THIS. #THYLLA. 
  On the topic of gay badasses, GUESS WHO'S TOTALLY IN LOVE WITH NICO? THATS RIGHT. ITS ME. I totally called that he was going to have to talk to Percy. Although he didn't die, I wasn't expecting that. Hit. Theory sunk. But don't get me wrong, I'm perfectly happy with this outcome. I loved all his closure with each of the characters. Finally talking to Percy, mourning Leo with Hazel, and hugging Jason. Oh, and if you haven't been on tumblr recently, I AM TOTALLY ON THE SOLANGELO BANDWAGON. THE SHIP HAS LEFT THE HARBOR. His exchanges with Will were some of my favorite things of the entire book. And are we not going to discuss how Nico's main fighting style is to kick people in the balls? I mean, he mentions it multiple times in relation to enemy Romans and his father. 
  Speaking of Hades, his little moment at the beginning once again proved that Hades is a good parent and Zues is a douchebag. IT'S NOT A COINCEDENCE THAT JASON HAS NEVER MET HIS FATHER UNTIL NOW. Hades genuinely cared about Nico and they have a true bond. Nico has a room in the underworld palace (mentioned in The Last Olympian), not even Percy has that. Hades was concerned about Nico making friends yet some gods can't even remember their kids exist. I have so many arguments for hades being a good person and Zues being terrible, so if Disney could stop making Hades the antagonist, that would be nice. 
  Since I'm on a rage rant anyway right now, we might as well talk about Octavian. Ok, so maybe he wasn't working with Gaea, but he still had priorities so screwed up, it made people consider that. When he went up in a flaming ball of douche, I didn't shed a tear. Good riddance.
  The Piper and Annabeth bonding is this book was really awesome. So awesome that people have started shipping Pipabeth. Not sure if I'm on board with that. Hazel was not in the book as much, but I admire her courage from HoH and for being such a good friend to Leo. The fact that she immediately talked to him about Calypso made me fall in love with her again. I'd like to thank Rick again for his array of amazing, kick-ass female leads. I've been truly inspired. 
  Percy and Annabeth, while not as important in this book, were still inspiring in their own way. The relationship they have is so strong, which is proven once again when Percy says "the rivalry ends here," and then kisses her. I'm so in love with them. Only they could bring on the apocalypse with a cut on the leg and a nosebleed. 
  Speaking as a person who gets chronic nosebleeds, this makes me feel really good about myself. I mean, yeah, I've stained some clothing and ruined a couple pillowcases, but I haven't woken up the Earth Mother. Only Percy could do that. God dammit. 
  Now I'd like to address one of the most crucial pieces of the book, Jason's glasses. I TOTALLY CALLED IT WHEN I SAW THE COVER. IT'S ON MY TUMBLR. (My tumblr is madlibs18). I saw a picture of the cover zoomed in on each of the characters and I was like "Are those glasses. WTF?" Somehow I think this makes Jason event hotter. Now he can be blonde Superman and blonde Clark Kent. 
  That was hilarious when what's-his-face, the medicine dude, was making all the prescriptions. Jason didn't know he was nearsighted, oh my god. He was practically like "oh wow everything blurry. Guess I'm just tired. Or maybe it has something to do with the fact that I was STABBED TWO DAYS AGO." Asclepius apparently had many titles including...
RICK RIORDAN, THAT WORD IS NOT FOR CHILDREN. 
  Speaking of things that are not for children, THE ENDING HAD ENOUGH EMOTIONAL TRAUMA TO CAUSE HEART BURN. OHMYGODS. I experienced so many emotions. I was relieved that no one important died, except, ya know, Gaea. I was estatic about Percy and Annabeth securing their future in New Rome. I was frustrated we didn't get to see Leo reunite with everyone, but at least we know he's alive. I was proud of Nico for confronting Percy and happy Annabeth took it well (although I expect she had already figured it out). I was giddy about Piper and Jason together at CHB and Hazel and Frank at Camp Jupiter. I laughed out loud at the image of Nico as the flower boy at their wedding. I hope he follows through with that promise. My overall emotion is sad but satisfied. I can't believe it's the end of our heroes' journey, but what a hell of a journey it was. Thank for this adventure, Rick. 
*****MILD SPOILERS****
  I'd briefly like to address te topic of Rick's new series, Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard. This contains a mild spoiler from BOO, so if you'd like to figure it out for yourself, I suggest you leave. Ok, so there's been a lot of discussion about the significance of Magnus's last name, and I think I've figured it out. The synopsis of the first book, The Sword of Summer, was recently released on goodreads and it states that the story is set it Boston. In BOO, Annabeth states she has an uncle and cousin currently living in Boston. CONCLUSION: MAGNUS IS ANNABETH'S COUSIN. YOU MAY FREAKOUT NOW. 
*****END OF SPOILERS*****
  Those were my thoughts, I'd love it if you'd comment yours, thank you for reading, and GOODBYE! 
P. S. I might make a part 2 to this so I can cover more stuff. If you think I should, comment below. 

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Which YA Book Should You Read Next Based on Your Myers-Briggs Type?

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Book 1: The Sword of Summer

Let's Reread The Mortal Instruments