Auto-buy Authors

    I am the first to admit that I have a problem with buying books. The majority of my money goes to the overlords at Books A Million who own my soul. But I promise I have some legitimate (I'm using the term loosely) reasons why I buy books as opposed to getting them from the library.

#1. I'm a girl in a world in which my only job is to marry rich. Just kidding. Couldn't resist the Hamilton reference. The real reason is that my bookshelf is my pride and joy. I love organizing it and displaying the beautiful books. Super nerdy confession: when I'm stressed, I rearrange my bookshelf to make me feel better.
#2. I love to reread books or certain scenes. How can I do that if the books are not readily available? It's easier just to own them.
#3. When I recommend books to people, I always get the standard excuses. *whiny voice* "It's not available at the library. "I don't have any money." Well, losers, it's hard to refuse me when I have my own personal library for you to borrow from. YOU HAVE NO EXCUSES.
#4. Auto-buy authors.

    I know what you're saying. "Libby...what's an auto-buy author? You made that up!" True, but that's beside the point. Now, if you'll stop interrupting me I'll tell you.
Auto-buy author (noun)
An author's whose works you will buy the week they come out, no matter your knowledge of the content, the price, your interest, etc.

    Auto-buy authors pose a huge problem to me and my bank account. Especially authors who pump out multiple 300+ page books a year (*cough cough* looking at you Riordan). It doesn't matter that I don't know anything about the new book by so-and-so. I'm going to buy it. It doesn't matter that the final book in the series costs 27 dollars (@Pierce Brown). I'm going to buy it. It doesn't matter that I don't even particularly like the premise of this new series. I'm going to buy it.
    Please note that you can't just give the title of auto-buy author to just anyone. That title is an honor only to be had by the authors whose names are carved on your heart and in your wallet. On that note, I would like to clarify that auto-buy authors are not necessarily the same as the authors whose series you religiously follow. Of course I would buy any variation of a Harry Potter book, but that doesn't mean I'd buy any J.K. Rowling book. In fact, I don't own any other books by her. Auto-buy authors are explicitly authors whose name on a book means that you will by it.
     Don't even get me started on little extra books and novellas! Those not-even-real-books are the reason I have entire shelves dedicated to a single author (and also because I'm a little obsessive but let's not go down that rabbit hole). Those are the platinum auto-buy authors. Their book game is next level.
    My current problem is that my list of auto-buy authors is ever growing. I could handle it when I only had to spend ridiculous amounts of money on one or two authors, but now it's out of hand. I feel like Voldemort. I've given away too many pieces of my soul to authors and now it's coming back to bite me. I mean that in the sense that I am now broke, not that one of my author horcruxes is going to come back and kill me. Although some of them do have a tendency for violence....

This is my current list of auto-buy authors, organized by most to least shelf space taken up (not necessarily a function of obsession level. However, is influenced by how many books author has published and how big said books are.
Rick Riordan - I currently own 28 physical copies of Rick Riordan books. This includes original editions, collector's editions, novella bind-ups, fully illustrated mythology stories, and graphic novel adaptations. That's not to mention the ebook and audiobook versions I have. I HAVE A PROBLEM.
Cassandra Clare - I not only own the entirety of the Shadowhunter Chronicles and their graphic novel adaptations, I own two companion books and the collection of short stories about Magnus Bane. I can also say I own her lesser known middle grade series The Magisterium. And I'll bet you another piece of my soul that I will buy the physical version of Shadowhunter Academy when that comes out, even though I have already read them all as ebooks.
Sarah J. Maas - I own all the books that are currently out for both of her series. Oh how beautiful they are...
Marissa Meyer - I absolutely loved The Lunar Chronicles so of course I bought the bind-up of her novellas and I will be buying her new book Heartless the day it comes out.
Colleen Houck - Anyone could tell you that I am in love with the Tiger's Curse series. I reread that entire series once a year at the minimum just to get my fix in. When Collen came out what the first book in her Egyptian mythology book, I snatched that bad boy right up. Sure, I didn't read it for another 6 months but I still bought it when it came out. I didn't even like it that much, but does that mean I'm not going to buy the next one come that fateful day? Of course not.
John Green - I absolutely adore this man. Not just as an author but as a person. I watch his YouTube channel with his brother Hank and listen to their podcast "Dear Hank and John" which is the best thing in my life right now. Given that, if he decided to publish his grocery lists from the past 10 years, I would gladly go out and buy it.
Ruta Sepetys - Sure, I've only read one of her books but I own all of them. I have a personal loyalty to her as she is a local author and I've met her twice. Not to mention she remembered me and said the nicest things about me wanting to be a writer...basically, Ruta is my author senpai.

   This is currently the biggest problem in my life. I know I know, it could be worse, but if you have any support groups you'd like to recommend I'd be glad to hear them."Hi my name is Libby. I'm a bookaholic. I haven't bought a book in two days. Yeah, I know it's been a while. I'm struggling but I'm trying stay strong. " Seriously. I need help.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which YA Book Should You Read Next Based on Your Myers-Briggs Type?

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Book 1: The Sword of Summer

Let's Reread The Mortal Instruments