Illuminae by Amie Kaufman and Jay Kristoff

"This morning, Kady thought breaking up with Ezra was the hardest thing she’d have to do.

This afternoon, her planet was invaded.

The year is 2575, and two rival megacorporations are at war over a planet that’s little more than an ice-covered speck at the edge of the universe. Too bad nobody thought to warn the people living on it. With enemy fire raining down on them, Kady and Ezra—who are barely even talking to each other—are forced to fight their way onto an evacuating fleet, with an enemy warship in hot pursuit.

But their problems are just getting started. A deadly plague has broken out and is mutating, with terrifying results; the fleet's AI, which should be protecting them, may actually be their enemy; and nobody in charge will say what’s really going on. As Kady hacks into a tangled web of data to find the truth, it's clear only one person can help her bring it all to light: the ex-boyfriend she swore she'd never speak to again.

Told through a fascinating dossier of hacked documents—including emails, schematics, military files, IMs, medical reports, interviews, and more—Illuminae is the first book in a heart-stopping, high-octane trilogy about lives interrupted, the price of truth, and the courage of everyday heroes."


OH. MY. GOD. THIS BOOK WAS INSANE. If the description above didn't convince you to pick this one up, I don't know what will. There's zombies, an artificial intelligence, a titanic-like romance, and DID I MENTION IT'S IN SPACE?

The format of this book really enhances the story, and apparently the audiobook is also incredible, so any way you read the book will be an unforgettable experience. It's so impressive that the authors were able to write continuously in so many different voices. I've never read anything like it. An "experience" is really the only way I can describe it, it's not just a book. 


***SPOILERS***

Let's start with our main character: Kady Grant. First of all, she's a female coder. THIS IS SO IMPORTANT. We need more girls in computer science and engineering. The first step of that is showing girls role models in their media that encourage an interest in coding. So can I get a "hell yeah" for Kady Grant? 

At the beginning, Kady annoyed me sometimes because she was incredibly arrogant, which Ezra even called her out on. "You don't know everything, Kady. Your problem is you think you do." I completely agreed with this, and I was glad Ezra said it. Even though Kady was right to be suspicious, what she did ended up with two of Ezra's friends in the brig, and he was right to be angry. 

As the story went on, I loved her more and more. She is such a strong character, especially in the second half of the book. She was so noble, and I really felt for her during her existential/emotional/physical struggle with death and grief on board the Alexander. 

I loved her and Ezra together. Their dynamic was so hilarious and interesting because they balance each other out so well. "You have me. Until the last star in the galaxy dies, you have me." I was crying laughing at all of their conversations, but some of them were also really sweet. 


There were so many little things that got me bad during this book. The records of the Copernicus casualties, the messages to loved ones before the Lincoln attack, Captain Syra having to space the cyclone pilots...The first time I actually cried was during McCall's report of what happened in Hangar Bay 4. Every time she looked at Jimmy and said "He would've made a great dad," a little piece of me died. 

I loved how there were so many different threats to the characters all happening at once, which was what made this book so incredible and unique. We have the classic space destroyer in hot pursuit, we have the rampant zombie virus turning our loved ones against us (even more terrifying because they could wield weapons), and we've got the utterly terrifying AI that could kill us all. 

This book was so crazy because I had no clue where the story would go after every twist. It was so faced paced and there was a ton left, I felt like I couldn't stop! Halfway through the book we reach what in any other book would be the climax when the Lincoln arrives and attacks the fleet. There were still 300 pages left in the book, and I had absolutely no idea what would happen after that. Turns out, the conflict of the second half of the book was 10 times crazier...and I loved it! 

AIDAN waking up was more terrifying than any of the gore from the Phobos patient records and the incident in Hangar Bay 4. I loved how the computer almost spoke in poetry yet it error-ed any time it thought something "human". At first, AIDAN completely terrified me because, like any normal person, I have a healthy fear of artificial intelligence. He attempted what every AI-gone-rogue does: wipe out all the humans because of a "technicality" in programming. But AIDAN became one of my favorite characters in the whole book. The data from the AIDAN core was definitely my favorite way the story was told.

Just like Kady, I completely freaked when AIDAN revealed his plan. The last time her communications were with the real Ezra was like half a book ago, and neither of us realized! I had an inkling of doubt when he didn't react strongly enough to Kady having to kill Dorian, but it was so fast-paced that I brushed it aside because WE NEEDED TO FIND EZRA. It was terrifying that AIDAN was able to mimic him so well. The whole time she had resigned herself to working with AIDAN, I had one question on my mind: What. Happened. To Ezra.

Throughout the whole part of the book where she was fighting the Lincoln to save the Hypatia, I struggled with whether or not I thought Ezra was really dead. On the one hand, we didn't have any closure with Ezra so I couldn't come to terms with it. On the other hand, if Kady was going to die, it felt wrong somehow for Ezra to be revealed as alive only for him to find out she was dead. As the book went on without Ezra, I realized how much I missed him and his narration. Like Kady, I wish I had known his last words were his last when it was happening. I would have appreciated it more.

AIDAN terrified me with how manipulative and smart he was (unsurprising), but then he would say things like "Why did they give me this sense of self? Why allow me the intellect by which to measure this complete inadequacy?" and I feel like he loved Kady. I cried when he shut off the cameras so she could grieve in private. I feel like my relationship with AIDAN was similar to how Kady felt about him. She was so angry with him and didn't understand how what he was doing could possibly be protecting them, but she grew fond of him and understood that really he was sacrificing himself and his ship so the Hypatia could live. Her goodbye to him before the ship blew was actually the most heartbreaking goodbye of the whole book.


I really wasn't sure if Kady was going to make it. We'd get a glimmer of hope then it would be snuffed out, and this happened multiple times! She was just going to go down with the ship and with AIDAN...but then she got in the escape pod! But no one is coming for her....but the Hypatia turned around (which I almost can't believe)! Only for her to die of radiation poisoning in the doctor's arms.

SOMEHOW...SHE SURVIVED. This whole book I had the same question in the back of my mind: So what/who is the Illuminae group? The narration of this book had some similarities to the Secret Series which led me to think that maybe the group was Kady or Ezra, but mostly Kady. However, I had let that thought go because I thought they were both going to die. I assumed some character we hadn't met yet had gotten ahold of her data pad. BUT NO. OUR SAVIOR LIVES ON. And she's about to kick some ass with her not dead boyfriend.

THAT'S RIGHT. #EZRALIVES. Their reunion at the end was everything I wanted and more. It was so satisfying to see the two of them finally in the physical presence of one another after such a long time of secret IMing. I know they're now involved with some secret organizations but I really hope those two make it out okay. I almost can't see how the next book is going to be about different characters with so much relying on Kady and Ezra.

Alright. Now let's talk about the future. In this very last section, we find out that the perpetrator of the Kerenza attack was actually Ezra's mom. I don't think she knew that Ezra was on Kerenza at the time because she wants her son now, but she is obviously high up with Beitech and is causing our heroes some trouble. In these next two books, Kady and Ezra must be joining forces with the new characters and involving them with Illuminae's fight against Beitech. We know Kady is the main force behind Illlluminae but she must have others working with her because of all the information she's gathered to threaten Ezra's mom with and because there's unnamed Analyst who transcribes the video feeds that I really don't think is Ezra or Kady. And what does "DON'T LOOK AT ME" mean??? I have so many questions and I'm so pumped to start Gemina!

***SPOILERS***

Seriously, this book is one of a kind. If you haven't picked it up, I would definitely recommend it as it completely blew my mind. I am so excited to read the rest of the series and stay immersed in this incredible world. 












Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which YA Book Should You Read Next Based on Your Myers-Briggs Type?

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Book 1: The Sword of Summer

Let's Reread The Mortal Instruments