The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical



The Greek gods are real, and they’re ruining Percy Jackson’s life. As a son of Poseidon, Percy has newly discovered powers he can’t control, monsters on his trail, and he is on an epic quest to find Zeus’s lightning bolt and prevent a war between the gods. Normal is a myth when you’re a demigod. Based on the best-selling Disney-Hyperion novel by Rick Riordan, The Lightning Thief: The Percy Jackson Musical is an action-packed theatrical adventure that will rock your world - and the underworld.

In case you didn’t know, the first book in the Percy Jackson series, The Lightning Thief, has been adapted into a musical! It opened off-Broadway in New York on Thursday, March 23rd. This hilarious rock and roll adventure is an incredibly faithful adaptation that fans of the book and newcomers alike are bound to love! I was so incredibly fortunate to have the opportunity to see this masterpiece on opening night. I just so happened to be spending my spring break in NYC, and I was staying across the street from the Lucille Lortel theatre. The show opened Thursday night and I was leaving the city Friday morning. It felt like the fates themselves had arranged it! 

I will admit, I was skeptical about how good an off-Broadway show with only like 6 actors based off a middle grade novel would be (especially considering the absolute disaster that is the movie), but I was blown away! It was very faithful to the books, which many fans have noted and let the creators know how much we appreciate it, but it was still unique in its own way. The music and special effects really distinguished the experience as new dive into this world I’ve loved for so long. 

What I really enjoyed was how they not only stayed true to the plot, but they kept the feel of the book. It’s a little cheesy without being cringeworthy. It’s made for kids but enjoyable by all. Shining emotional moments are balanced with humor both sarcastic and just plain silly. The humor was very Riordan and didn’t seem out of place at all. They even used straight up quotes from the book! Fan favorites such as “You drool in your sleep” and “Don’t feel bad, I’m always about to die” were not left behind in the source material. The creators obviously did their research, unlike some people….I’m looking at you Chris Columbus (though I forgive you because you also directed Harry Potter). It's evident that the creators consulted Rick when developing this, which I'm sure was a big contributor to it far outstripping the movie. 

As musicals go, this one actually holds up! It was innovative in that, like School of Rock, it employs rock music for its accompaniment instead of the traditional Broadway style. I loved this and thought it was very Percy. It’s hard to imagine him belting traditional show tunes. This just shows how the creators really understood Percy as a character in order to make him shine. The music itself was excellent and very creative! Seeing Percy, Annabeth, and Grover dance with Charon as she belts a disco number reminiscent of ‘I Will Survive’ while simultaneously introducing them to dead musicians as they descend into the underworld is an experience I don’t think can be recreated. 

The actors were also amazing! Chris McCarrell was the best Percy I could have asked for; Logan Lerman should be shaking in his boots. He embodied Percy in such a way that made him feel so real, much realer than any silver screen adaptation. His opening monologue was the first paragraph of the book. Watching him say, “Look, I didn’t want to be a half-blood” almost made me cry with how surreal it was. Kristin Stokes as Annabeth was the tough wise girl fans know and love. She even took special care to dye her hair blonde because the creators know how important that trait is to the fans and to Annabeth’s character. All of the other actors played multiple roles and they were phenomenal. Grover was truly my beloved book Grover, timid but brave in all that he does. The same actor also played an interesting take on Mr. D that I absolutely loved. See? You can make changes that fans don’t hate! 

I understand that many demigods around the world will not be able to see the show, and I am so grateful that I was able to. If you find yourself in New York ( for mythical or other purposes), don’t hesitate to grab tickets. For those unable to go, you can sign this petition for the making of a cast recording you would be able to buy on iTunes. If enough people say they will buy it, then even those who can’t make it to Christopher Street will be able to experience a little bit of the magic. For now, we’ll have to settle with this recording of Chris McCarrell singing “Good Kid”, one of the best songs of the show.


I absolutely loved this show as a musical and as an adaptation, and I hope many great things stem from it! Maybe one day, I’ll be able to say I saw opening night of a Broadway musical. That might be wishful thinking, but my faith in this show goes to Olympus and back. Thank you to the creators, to the actors, and most of all, to Uncle Rick. Third time’s the charm. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which YA Book Should You Read Next Based on Your Myers-Briggs Type?

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Book 1: The Sword of Summer

Let's Reread The Mortal Instruments