Summer Reads 2017


This is exactly what it sounds like: a record of the books I read this summer. However, I went down deep into the reread rabbit hole this summer, so this is only a small fraction of the books I actually read. All of the reviews come from my new Goodreads account which you can check out here or in the sidebar!

The Dark Prophecy by Rick Riordan
"The second Trials of Apollo did not disappoint, in fact, I think I liked it better than the first one. I immensely enjoyed meeting a new cast of characters along with spending more time with familiar ones, a choice I believe will be present throughout the series based on the ending of this story. Unlike when I read the Hidden Oracle for the first time, I found myself really rooting for Lester and Meg as characters and not just devices to keep the story going. So far, I've loved what Rick has done with their characters and I can't wait to see where he goes from here. The ending of the first book left me with what I thought would be the peak of my anticipation considering... the events that go down, but this book provided me with more than enough excitement for the next book! And of course, Rick succeeded in making me laugh many times over as he never fails to do."

Heartless by Marissa Meyer
"All in all, I really enjoyed Heartless. I absolutely love Marissa Meyer and she worked Cath's character perfectly. As readers know, this is a backstory for the Queen of Hearts from Lewis Carroll's Alice in Wonderland. Meyer perfectly completed the arc from dreaming heroine to crazed villain. My one complaint is that the first half of the book is a little slow. I feel like the action of the last 100 pages could have begun earlier and lasted longer instead of the long-lasting buildup we experienced. I only wish I had read the original Alice and Wonderland (or at least re-watched the movie) before reading this so I would understand more of the references. However, someone even remotely familiar with the story is able to connect the more obvious dots. I totally rooted for the couple all the way; I'm only sad we couldn't have more time with them. A- in my books. "

Flame in the Mist by Renee Ahdieh
"I absolutely loved Renee Ahdieh's The Wrath and the Dawn, and this new take on a traditional story did not disappoint. Ahdieh effortlessly wove the tale of Fa Mulan with the tale of a girl trapped in a world of samurai, disgraced sons, and power-hungry tyrants. What I love about Renee Ahdieh's protagonists is that she attaches very interesting and unique character traits to them. There are plenty of smart, stubborn girls in YA, but this particular take is very refreshing. Mariko is resourceful, but especially curious; clever yet surprisingly philosophic. Most interestingly to me, she is an inventor, a trait that proves to be a great asset as she gains the trust of those around her, though she herself trusts no one. What sets Mariko's story apart from that of Shahrzad is how her womanhood plays into the story. Instead of just acknowledging the facts of this world when it comes to being a girl, Ahdieh meets the topic head-on in an assault on the gender politics of feudal Japan that would make Mulan proud. The story is suspenseful and romantic, but most of all, it is about growth and acceptance. Mariko's story is one to remember when considering what it means to be a girl."

Afterworlds by Scott Westerfeld
"Lizzie's story of a near-death experience that becomes an obsession with death is intertwined with Darcy's story of publishing her first novel and romance in YA heaven. Both stories succeeded in keeping me captivated throughout; books with multiple narrations can sometimes leave readers dreading certain point of views, but that was not a problem here. The two stories are woven so seamlessly that Darcy would talk about something in the book and that thing would happen in the chapter before or after. It took me a little bit to get into the romances but both main characters were so strong on their own that they kept me interested. I also really appreciate the inclusion of a female homosexual relationship; there's not enough of those in YA! This book was perfect for someone like me, who's into YA books and involved that world, but someone who's not may not be as into Darcy's story. For me, talk of ARCs, TBR, and a visit to BEA was heaven, but I understand that not everyone will geek over that part of the book like I did. The one thing I didn't really get was that Afterworlds (Darcy's book) has a sequel she talks about throughout the book, but Afterworlds (Scott Westerfeld's book) does not have a sequel so Darcy's story is complete but Lizzie's kind of leaves you hanging. Overall, this book was incredible and such an interesting take on both the world of publishing and paranormal romance. I've truly never read anything like it."

Because You Love to Hate Me: 13 Tales of Villainy
"I loved this book because not only does it showcase some extremely entertaining short stories, it provides interesting and diverse commentary on how we view villains. From what we villainize to what makes a villain a villain, all is addressed in some fashion through the collaboration of this epic pantheon of YA authors and booktubers. The book is short and sweet but so much is packed in there that you won’t be wanting for much except more, more, more! I just think it’s so cool how the world of YA books and publishing has completely accepted booktubers and utilized them to their full extent, because who better to explore how we read and what it means for society than someone who represents the interests of both readers and creators? Check out my full review where I go through each story here"

Again, this list is somewhat incomplete as these are only the new books I read, not including anything I read for school or reread. After I finish rereading (that's right. I'm still doing it. I have a problem) Empire of Storms in preparation for the release of Tower of Dawn, I will be back on the bandwagon with full reviews! Until then, happy (re)reading!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which YA Book Should You Read Next Based on Your Myers-Briggs Type?

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Book 1: The Sword of Summer

Let's Reread The Mortal Instruments