Insurgent Movie Reaction

All in all, I liked this movie very much. However, I do not remember this book very well so there are some things I may have missed or misinterpreted. 
  The beginning felt very Hunger Games-ish, with all the projections on the buildings, nightmares, and the running through the woods. Luckily, I soon forgot this parallel when the story began in Amity because I was struck by the fact that it did not pick up right after Divergent. That's one of the things I loved about this series was that nothing happens in between the books. 
  I am not super angry about this because I know the writers only have so much screen time. I was also distracted by the incredible beauty of the sets! Amity headquarters was the perfect mix of calm and serene but with tension just below the surface. All the costume design was magnificent. It was exactly how I imagined it in the books. The outfits really accentuated the sets and made me feel like I was a part of the world. Candor headquarters was especially beautiful. Really cool glass and modern architecture? Hell yes. 
  Can we just discuss the rollercoaster of emotions I felt about Peter? In the beginning, I was laughing out loud when he was like "may peace and happiness be with you". Then he ruined it by calling attention to Tris and her crew. He then decides to go to berate Tris the whole time she was in Erudite. I didn't understand in the book or the movie why he saved her. Seriously. Screw that guy. He is legitimately the worst person. At least Jeanine thought what she was doing was right! Although she did murder countless people...
  Caleb's part in this movie was laughable. HE WAS LITERALLY USELESS. Oh hey I'm Caleb and I'm just going to sit here and struggle internally while my sister is about to get thrown out of a train. I understand his struggle with trying to figure out what is right but I didn't really feel it in the movie. Hey it's Caleb again. I'm blindley following a tyrant because I can't make up my effing mind about my morals. 
  I don't remember the whole box thing from the book, but I personally like what they did with it. Having Tris complete all these faction tests really made the opening of the message feel climatic and complete. It truley proved she was a divergent (even though she didn't actually qualify for Amity and Candor). 
  Unfortunately, I do have a few problems with this movie. 
1. The weird octopus tablets. Wtf were those? How can they detect the percentage of your divergentness? What even? I liked all of the technology is this movie (especially in Erudite headquarters), but these tennis ball iPads just confused me. They looked liked those walker-cane-things that old people use! 
2. Where was Marcus? He just gets knocked over in Amity and then we don't see him again until his dramatic camera shot in the end. Where was the conspiring? Where was the arguing? Ahhhhh! 
3. Why do I like Four more in the movies than in the book? Oh right because he doesn't fight with Tris. Where was their jacked up relationship dynamic? I'll admit, I wasn't too upset about this just because it allowed me to not be filled with rage about incompetent boyfriends. 

That's really all I have to say about this movie. The Divergent movie is a definite 5 star adaptation. I'd give this one a 4 (see what I did there?) Please go see the movie and read these books, both are incredible. Byeeee
  
  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which YA Book Should You Read Next Based on Your Myers-Briggs Type?

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Book 1: The Sword of Summer

Let's Reread The Mortal Instruments