Top 5 Underhyped Books That Deserve More Attention

  There are plenty of books out there that completely deserve the hype they are getting. Some examples that come to mind include: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas, Me Before You (recently turned into a movie), and anything by John Green. Today I'd like to acknowledge some truly underrated books, books that, despite their amazing-ness, really aren't getting talked about in the YA community. There simply is not enough fan art for these books to suit my needs, so this is my way of changing that (and also getting these books the attention they deserve).
   These are all five star books, and I've read almost all of them within the last year. This is a pretty diverse list with multiple genres so I'm hopeful everyone can find something they're interested in. I recommend every single one of them. You will find no spoilers here, only short summaries and my general thoughts and feelings. I really hope you guys pick at least one of these up so we can discuss them together as I have so many feelings and no one to share them with (and also fan art really would be nice)!

Coming in at #5, we have...

Passenger by Alexandra Bracken
Published January 5th, 2016
Genre: fantasy??? sci-fi?? it's too amazing to fit into only one genre.

    This is the first book in a new series by Alexandra Bracken, New York Times best selling author of The Darkest Minds trilogy. Passenger follows Etta Spencer who's whole life falls apart following her disastrous violin debut. She discovers her family has been mixed up with the Ironwoods, a family of time travelers who have taken control over the rest of the time traveling world. With the help of seaman Nicholas Carter of the eighteenth century, she must journey through time and space to secure a legacy she didn't know she had and save what remains of her family. This books blends history with science fiction so seamlessly, making it impossible to put down.
   This books absolutely blew me away. I went into it knowing absolutely nothing other than that time travel was involved. And honestly, that's all I needed to know to be sold. I am a huge fan of historical fiction personally, but I know it's not everyone's cup of tea. If that's the case, do not be turned off by this book! Alex Bracken does an incredible job of balancing the history of all these places and centuries with incredible action sequences and a heart felt romance. I was just so impressed by how all of the pieces came together so effortlessly. I am eagerly awaiting the next book Wayfarer, which is set to come out January 3rd, 2017.

#4  on my list has to go to...

Carry On by Rainbow Rowell
Published February 25th, 2016
Genre: fantasy technically but it feels more like a contemporary.

   Carry On is the story of Simon and Baz, characters introduced in Rainbow Rowell's previous book Fangirl (which if you haven't read, you should really get on that). In Fangirl, Simon Snow is the main character in a Harry Potter-esque series that Cath loves and writes a fanfiction of titled "Carry On" Throughout that book, you read snippets from the original series and from Cath's fanfic. Carry On is Rainbow Rowell's take on those characters in a completely new and different way. Now, you do not have to read Fangirl to read this book. Repeat it back to me. "I do not have to read Fangirl to read Carry On." It gives a little context but it's not necessary.
   The premise is based on Harry Potter but it is most certainly not the same story. The characters are very different as is the plot. Simon is "the chosen one" and the story takes place at a magic school called Watford, where they learn spells and magicky stuff, but that's about where the similarities end. 
   But that's not even really the main plot! There's certainly an antagonist, action with magical creatures, and a little mystery, but the main story is that of Simon and Baz. The book is so heartwarming and genuinely hilarious that I've already read it multiple times since it came out. It's on the top of my list for LGBTQ+ books, though I'll admit that list is not very long. This is definitely a book to go into without knowing much so this is really all I'm going to say. Just go read it!

#3 is a book I've talked about many times. It's...

Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo
Published September 29th, 2015
Genre: dark fantasy.

   Six of Crows is the first book of a new duology by Leigh Bardugo, who also wrote the New York Times best selling Grisha Trilogy, also known as the Shadow and Bone series. The book is set in the gang-ridden, bustling port city of Ketterdam. Kaz Brekker, also known as Dirtyhands, is described as a criminal prodigy. He's offered a crap ton of money if he can complete an almost impossible heist into the frozen wasteland of Fjerda. He gets a crew together made up of a spy, a sharpshooter, a runaway, a convict, and a grisha heartrender. The six characters and their pasts weave together into their broken present. These nobodies might be in over their heads when they discover that this mission is not quite what meets the eye. This dark twist on the classic heist story kept me on my toes throughout the entire thing. It's highly character driven, but the action is just as compelling.
   This book is set in the same world as Leigh's other series, but again you do not have to have any knowledge of that series to read this book. A friend who read the book at my recommendation said they had a little trouble with the vocabulary (lots of Russian) because they didn't have any knowledge of the other books, but other than that, you don't really need anything from the other series. I'll admit the world isn't the easiest to get into but once you do..man, it's incredible. Leigh Bardugo's characters, world, and writing are truly unique. I haven't read anything like it. I know a lot of people read the first book of The Grisha Trilogy or even the whole thing and weren't impressed, but let me tell you. THIS BOOK IS SO MUCH BETTER. Her writing imported a tenfold. The other book in the duology Crooked Kingdom comes out September 22nd, 2016. 

Coming in hot at #2...

The Iron Trial (The Magisterium series) by Cassandra Clare and Holly Black
Published September 9th, 2014
Genre: middle grade fantasy.

    This is the only book on this list that I've actually done a review of (because I am a lazy butt who needs to get her act together). I'm not going to go too into detail about the description because I've already written it there, so click here to check that out. Cassandra Clare and Holly Black are both really happening authors in the YA universe so I'm sure you've heard of them. Cassandra Clare wrote this little series called The Mortal Instruments which has a show on Freeform, no big deal. Her books are crazy popular so I don't understand why more people haven't read this book! I honestly can't promote this one enough. This book exceeded expectations I didn't even know I had! The main character Call is so funny and relatable as are the other two main characters. I've said before that this book is Harry Potter meets Percy Jackson meets Avatar. I really can't put into words how much I love these books. I just know that everyone should read them. The Magisterium is set to be a five book series, two of which are out: The Iron Trial and The Copper Gauntlet (which was just as good). The third book The Bronze Key comes out very soon, August 30th, 2016. And might I say, based on this cover, the characters have gotten hotter. 

Side note: every time I talk about this book, I say I'm going to read a Holly Black book. Well...I now own two Holly Black books! I bought The Darkest Part of the Forest and The Coldest Girl in Coldtown. I swear I'll get to them one of these days...

Drum roll please! In 1st place we have...A TIE!

   Yeah I know it's a cop-out but these two books were life changing and NO ONE TALKS ABOUT THEM! They both deserve to be in the top spot, and you know what? I do what I want so they're both going up here!

For #1 we have...

Beauty Queens by Libba Bray
Published May 24th, 2011
Genre: contemporary and kinda sci-fi/action but I'm gonna go with feminist.

Along with

Aristotle and Dante Discover the Secrets of the Universe by Benjamin Alire Sáenz
Published February 21st, 2012
Genre: contemporary with a minor in life changing.

    Let's start with Aristotle and Dante because I just finshed this book and I'm still reeling from it. Ari and Dante are fifteen year old Mexican American boys in El Paso, Texas in the 1980's. Ari is the narrator and the story follows his journey from boyhood to manhood, focusing on his friendship with Dante, his parents, and his brother who's in prison. The narrative discusses what it means to be Mexican, heroism, familial ties, and what it's like to be in love with your best friend. I don't want to go too into detail with this book because it's best not to know anything. The writing style was very unique and I really related to Ari throughout it. I was laughing on one page then crying on the next. This book covers some dark stuff and left me pretty raw but I absolutely loved it. I finished it and immediately wanted to reread it. I fell in love with the two main characters. If you're looking for a good LGBTQ+ book, a coming of age story, a novel with a strong parental presence, or a truly amazing love story then you've come to the right place. It's also an incredible audiobook. Lin Manual Miranda is perfect as the narrator as he is Latino and an incredible story teller, which just made the experience of reading this book so much more meaningful.  Benjamin Alire Sáenz is working on a sequel, picking up where the novel let off called Aristotle and Dante: There Will Be Other Summers, but it has no publication date set. 

   Moving on to Beauty Queens. Holy sh*t this book blew my mind. It's the tale of 10+ beauty contestants whose plane crashes on a deserted island, but it is nothing like you think. It's a satirical commentary on how society treats females and I f*cking loved it. It triggers all my feminist rants which is why I'm swearing all of a sudden. The story of these pageant girls coming together and surviving against the elements all the while learning things about each other and what it means to be a girl is one of the most amazing and eye opening things I've ever read. The narrative is interspersed with commercial breaks and advertisements by "The Corporation" that poke fun at how females are used to sell products. I've never read a book that was so aware of itself. The writing took a little getting used to because it flits from character to character really quickly but I got really into it. The book is hilarious all the while covering serious topics like sexuality, gender identity, body image, mental health, racism, and so much else. The eclectic cast of characters all have their own back stories and personalities that reflect the topics I mentioned, and you learn to love each and every one of them. I can't stress how important the themes of this book are and how good it is as a story and as a commentary on our society. Definitely a must read for any teen girl and budding feminist. 

   I hope this list has inspired you to check out one or more of these excellent titles. All of these book blew me away and some of them are really close to my heart. Thanks for sticking with me and I hope you enjoy these stories as much as I did. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Which YA Book Should You Read Next Based on Your Myers-Briggs Type?

Magnus Chase and the Gods of Asgard Book 1: The Sword of Summer

Let's Reread The Mortal Instruments